‘Freedom Convoy’ organizer Pat King’s trial begins Monday – National

3 Min Read

The criminal trial of Pat King, one of the most prominent figures involved in the 2022 Freedom Convoy protest in Ottawa, is expected to begin Monday.

King was part of the original group of organizers who brought thousands of large trucks and other vehicles to Ottawa in January of that year to protest public health measures against COVID-19.

They also spoke out against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government.

For weeks, the smell of diesel fumes hung in the city’s downtown core as huge crowds sang “freedom” day and night to a raucous chorus of air horns.

Protesters blocked intersections around Parliament Hill and the surrounding area and set up encampments complete with food tents and open fires.

The latest news from Canada and around the world happens to be sent to your email.

Local politicians described conditions in downtown Ottawa during the demonstration as a lawless occupation of the capital, as several businesses closed and residents described feeling uncomfortable leaving their homes.

Story continues below ad

King was outspoken during the demonstration, documenting his experiences with frequent social media livestreams. Many of those videos are expected to be entered into evidence at his criminal trial.

Click to play video: 'Pat King Testifies He Contacted Police to Discuss Safety Issues Ahead of 'Freedom Convoy'

Pat King Testifies He Contacted Police to Discuss Safety Issues Ahead of ‘Freedom Convoy’

He is accused of mischief, advising others to commit mischief, disobeying a court order and obstructing police for his role in the demonstration, which eventually turned into a massive police operation.

See also  Donald Trump spends $200 on 7 pizzas for FDNY on day 10 of criminal trial

The federal government also invoked the emergency law in an attempt to force demonstrators off the streets.

Police arrested King on February 18, the same day they began their operation to clear protesters from the area around the parliamentary district.

He was held in jail for five months after his arrest before eventually being released on bail and returning to Alberta.

Story continues below ad

The Ontario Superior Court has set aside three weeks to hear evidence and arguments in the case.

&copy 2024 The Canadian Press

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *